Sunday, March 20, 2011

New Recipe Review: Garlic Carrot Potatoes

I was intrigued by this recipe because I thought the carrots would add a neat flavor to my mashed potatoes. And I was not disappointed! My family really enjoyed it. Mark said that he usually doesn't like me to mess with my normal mashed potato recipe, but that he thought they were very good. I added a little extra butter instead of milk and I sprinkled cheese on the top because it sounded good to me. And because there is just something in me that refuses to follow a recipe exactly :) Thanks to Mindy at The Purposed Heart for such a great recipe!


Ingredients

  • 1 ½ pounds potatoes, peeled and diced (about 6 medium sized)
  • 1 ½ pounds carrots, peeled and diced (about 9 medium sized)
  • 5-6 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
  • 4 tbsp butter (half of a stick)
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1 – 1 ½ tsp. sea salt, to taste (less if using refined salt)
  • ¼ – ½ tsp freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 – 2 tbsp milk

Directions

Place potatoes, carrots, and garlic in a medium-sized saucepan and cover with plenty of water. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook until vegetables are tender and can be easily mashed, about 20-25 minutes. Drain the water. To the pot of cooked vegetables add butter, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mash well with a potato masher. (You could also use a food mill if you would like them silky smooth. A potato masher will give you a chunkier texture, which is what we prefer.) Once the veggies are mashed, stir in the milk until they reach your desired consistency. Enjoy!


1 comments:

Mindy @ The Purposed Heart said...

Hi Meg! I'm so glad you and your family liked the Garlic Carrot Potatoes :-) I'll have to try sprinkling some cheese on the top next time - that sounds great!

I have really enjoyed looking around your blog :-) I loved your post on baby's first foods! We have a 7 1/2 month baby boy (our first) and our methods of feeding a baby could not be more similar! Our son's favorite food right now is a lightly cooked egg yolk doused in olive oil and sprinkled with feta cheese - he gets so excited - he just loves it! He also LOVES plain, homemade kefir and I can't give it to him fast enough! ;-)

You have a beautiful blog and a beautiful family! Blessings, Mindy