Friday, April 30, 2010

Experimenting with grain-free brownies!

One of my favorite bloggers, Donielle, posted THIS recipe for grain-free brownies several weeks ago. I've been trying to find the time to make them ever since. The idea of brownies made from beans (yes, I know it sounds absolutely horrible!) was such a novel idea that I had to try it. So yesterday, I did it! But I stink at following a recipe, so I had to liven it up a little: I made one batch with coconut flakes and another batch with peanut butter! I have to admit that I was absolutely in love with the pb ones and my husband liked the coconut ones the best. And my toddler went for whichever one she could manage to sneak off the counter at any given second :)

To me, these brownies were every bit as good as the box kind, just with a much smoother consistency. But the best part is that they were every bit as easy as the box mix! It really only took a minute to blend all the ingredients together :) Give yourself plenty of time to let them cool, though, because they are super gooey at first. I'd recommend refrigerating for a couple of hours before trying to cut them :)

So here is Donielle's recipe and my additions. Be sure to check out her website for more healthy recipes!

Healthy Grain Free Brownies

  • 2 cups black beans (or 1 can of no salt added)
  • 3 lightly beaten eggs
  • 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (or melted butter)
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup honey (or other equivalent sweetener)
  • 1/2 cup chopped up bittersweet chocolate (or semi-sweet chips if you don’t mind the added refined sugar in them)
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts -optional

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8×8 pan. Toss all but the final 2 ingredients (the chopped up chocolate and walnuts) into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Fold in the chopped chocolate and walnuts. Pour into the pan and bake for about 30 minutes.

For coconut brownies, just stir in about 1 cup of coconut flakes after processing.

For peanut butter or sunflower butter brownies, decrease the amount of oil to 1/4 cup and add 1 cup of peanut butter before processing.

This post is part of Kelly's SUYL desserts! Click on over for more yummy desserts!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I went hunting for this recipe after I saw your FB status. I think I am going to try these on my family w/out mentioning what's in them. And I think we will go the PB route. Thanks for passing on the recipe!

Naff News said...

Now Meagan. Beans?? in brownies?? That seems so wrong. :) I am intrigued but not sure I would be able to get past that beans angle. Do you taste them? Jeremy and I both are definitely not black beans fans :)

Meg said...

Leah, hope you like them! Letm em know if you think of anything else yummy to p put in them :)

Katie, I promise I didn't taste the beans one bit! And Mark had no clue! He knew they were supposed to be healthier, but was very surprised when I told him about the beans afterwards :)

donielle@ Naturally Knocked Up said...

Mmmm, peanut butter! I might just have to try that out. :-)