Friday, January 9, 2009

Yummy, healthy home-made cereal

After reading several books and articles about how processed cereal really isn't good for you at all, (click HERE and HERE for an example) I've tried to cook other things for my family for breakfast. Giving up cereal has been really hard for me, because I absolutely love it. I would eat it for several meals a day in college just because it was so yummy and quick :) So I was super excited to find a very healthy recipe for home-made cereal that my toddler, hubby, and I all enjoy! Its from THIS book. Its very crunchy and I prefer to let it sit in the milk for a couple of minutes before eating it. I also love eating it with raisins and bananas :)

Ingredients:
6 cups freshly ground whole wheat or spelt flour
3 cups whole milk, preferably unpasteurized
1 cup water
1/4 cup whey, buttermilk, yogurt, or keifer
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup melted coconut oil or butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. pure organic maple syrup

Directions:
I a large bowl, mix flour with milk, water, and whey, cover and leave at room temp. overnight. In the morning add the remaining ingredients and more water, if needed, to make a pourable batter. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare two 9x13 baking pans with coconut oil and pour half the batter into each. Bake for 35-45 min, until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and lower temp. to 200. Allow cereal to cool and then crumble up onto baking sheets. Bake until completely dry and hard, about an hour (I found that it took several hours to get as crunchy as I wanted it :) To get a uniform size, process briefly in batches in a food processor. Store in airtight containers at room temp.

5 comments:

Eli's Lids said...

I love cereal too. I'll have to check out that link now!
http://elislids.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

gonna try this. i was just wolfing down some Great Grains cereal and wondered if i could make my own. THANKS!

Jenni said...

I'm getting a grain mill so I can start to make more healthy things and save money. I also love cereal and was bummed when I found out that it's not healthy, so I'm very excited to try your recipe and be able to eat healthy homemade cereal! I'll have to look around your blog more later too, looks like a lot of helpful recipes and stuff! Thanks! God Bless you and your family!

Meg said...

Thank you so much for this recipe!! I already knew I felt this way about food but I had a BIG moment when we watching "Food, Inc" this past week and I just. can't. eat. processed. food. anymore.

So I'm making my own! :)

Also following as my name is Meg, and I do not doubt a Higher Being led me here. It seems we agree on food and what kinds to feed our kids. :)

The Artsy Oils Girl said...

WOW thanks for the recipe! I have been looking for a homemade cereal recipe and this one looks great! I can't wait to try it!