Saturday, June 5, 2010

Our favorite healthy quick snacks


Frozen bananas with peanut butter. This is one of my favorite night-time snacks. Frozen bananas taste remarkably like ice cream! I usually add some plain yogurt for a creamy kick as well. Sometimes I will add in some granola and/or coconut flakes to give it a crunch. Or some nutella or chocolate chips to satisfy a chocolate craving!
Tortilla pizzas -- When I make tortillas, I triple the recipe so I have enough for a month or two. So we always have tortillas on hand.
soaked and dehydrated almonds

soaked and dehydrated pecans
smoothy popsicles -- I make a super healthy smoothy with coconut milk, frozen fruit, raw honey, and other favorites and freeze it into popsicle molds for a quick, healthy treat
cheese chunks, raw if possible!-- if I am doing "snacks for lunch" I always include cheese to make sure my girls get plenty of dairy and protein!
raisins
grapes, apple slices, banana, and other fruit, often with sunflower butter
frozen blueberries (very messy, though, so not good for the car! But they are my girls' absolute favorite and we always keep some in the freezer for a quick fix for teething and busted lips :)
frozen peas
dehydrated, unsweetened coconut flakes

cut up dates, often with sunflower butter on them
black beans (my girls will eat them cold! But they stain as well, so be careful!)
cooked brown rice pasta (yes, they will eat that cold, as well :)
applesauce -- if you don't make your own, then please buy the unsweetened kind so you aren't giving your kids HFCS!!! The "original" kind is full of HFCS!
yogurt -- if you don't make your own, then try to get plain (unflavored) full-fat yogurt. It can be hard to find. When we are on the road, we get Fage Greek yogurt for the girls or Organic Stonyfield plain with the cream on top.


This post is a part of Kelly's Korner SUYL!

4 comments:

Naff News said...

This made me hungry. :) And by the way- I'm so jealous of all of you girls who take grandparents to the beach with you! That must be so nice!

Liz said...

THANK YOU for your blog, and especially for this post!! I'm trying so hard to switch our family over to traditional foods (I was introduced to Nourishing Traditions several months ago) and my friend Keri recommended your blog. I LOVE it. I have four young children, ranging from 8 to 1 year, and it's so hard sometimes to figure out what kinds of (healthy) snacks to feed them that I can make instead of purchase. Thank you, again, for all the help you've given moms like me. :)

The Conscious Life said...

Wow, that's a lot of snacks you've there! Bringing your own snacks for trips is a fantastic idea! It beats spending money on snacks that are awfully sweet and unhealthy. I find dried blueberries great too. I've not tried frozen ones since they're not available where I stay (SE Asia). I love dried fruits as they are usually tangy or sweet. Reading this post is making me craving for some now. Got to go snacking!

Marissa said...

your link up from kelly's korner had me curious about your healthy snacks...they all sound SO yummy! My boys LOVE black beans too, they'll eat them any way you make them! Cute blog you have and PRECIOUS family :)