Friday, September 25, 2020

Healthy applesauce sunflower butter muffins

 My big girls are running cross country and they are already super skinny so I've been looking for some healthy snacks that will have a bit of protein.  The original recipe can be found HERE.  I used whole apples, de-seeded but with the peel still on.  I did not put oats on the top and I added a bit of extra sunflower butter and mini chocolate chips.  Ipureed the entire batch in my food processor so cleanup was a breeze.  They turned out super moist and yummy!

  • 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce or non-dairy yogurt* (I used quartered apples with the peel on and pureed them before continuing with the recipe.
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I just used whole cow's milk)
  • 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or organic brown sugar)
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 tablespoons almond butter (I used probably 6 Tbs sunflower butter)
  • 2 and 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 2 apples, peeled and grated (approx. 1 cup) )I just used my pureed apples

Preheat the oven to 350°F and then grease or line a muffin tin for 12 muffins.

In a blender or a food processor, combine all of the ingredients starting with the wet ingredients first then blend for about 30 seconds, or until smooth. 

Pour the batter into the muffin tin, filling each about 3/4th of the way full. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until light golden brown.

0 comments: