We love Chicken Cordon Blue and this is a great recipe! Thanks to Tasty Chicken for the recipe!
- FOR THE CASSEROLE:
- 1 whole Cooked Chicken, Bones Removed, Meat Diced Or Shredded (rotisserie Chicken Is Excellent, Should Be 5-6 Cups Of Chicken
- ½ pounds Very Thinly Sliced Deli-style Honey Ham, Rough Chopped
- ¼ pounds Thin Sliced Baby Swiss Cheese
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 4 Tablespoons Flour
- 3 cups Whole Milk (or A Bit More If Needed; Whole Milk Is Required)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- ¾ teaspoons Salt
- ½ teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- ¼ teaspoons White Pepper
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1-½ cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- ½ teaspoons Seasoning Salt
- 1-½ teaspoon Crushed Dried Parsley
Preparation Instructions(2/19/2015—Please note: due to comments about the salt content of this recipe, the amount of salt has been reduced.)
Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a 9×13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
Put cooked shredded or diced chicken on the bottom of the baking dish. Rough chop the ham and scatter it over the top of the chicken. Lay the Swiss cheese on top of the ham.
For the sauce:
Melt the butter in a large sauce pot over medium heat. When butter is melted, quickly stir in the flour to form a smooth roux. Do not brown! Once the roux is smooth and bubbly, slowly pour in the cold milk while stirring briskly to make a smooth sauce. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens. Stir in the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, smoked paprika and white pepper. Bring sauce just back to a low boil and turn off heat. Pour sauce evenly over the casserole, being certain to get some of the sauce around the edges of the pan.
For the topping:
Melt the butter in the microwave in a medium sized microwaveable bowl. Heat it for 30 seconds at a time and stop once it’s melted. Take the bowl out of the microwave and stir in the panko bread crumbs, crushed dried parsley. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
Bake casserole uncovered for 45 minutes until hot and bubbly throughout and topping has turned a light golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes prior to serving