Sunday, October 5, 2008

Bierocks

I found this recipe this summer when I was trying to find a way to use up my cabbage that Mark would like (we got cabbage in our CSA and Mark is generally NOT a cabbage fan!) But he liked these. I added some Worcestershire sauce to the ground beef mixture to add a little flavor and sprinkled some cheddar cheese on each pocket before sealing :) I got the idea from my friend Gi and the recipe from www.cooks.com. These little pockets also freeze well!

Ingredients:

2 lbs. hamburger
1 c. onion, chopped
4 c. cabbage, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Directions: Cook hamburger, onion, cabbage, salt and pepper until browned. Roll out dough and cut into large circles. Put 1/4 cup meat mixture in center of dough. Pinch closed. Bake until browned, approximately 20 minutes, at 375 degrees.

DOUGH FOR BIEROCKS:
2 pkgs. yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 c. warm milk
4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. warm water
1/4 c. butter, softened
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set in warm place. Add warm milk, butter and salt; let stand for 10 minutes with yeast mixture in it. Add flour and sugar. Let double for 50 minutes.

0 comments: