This combination sounds a little weird, but it actually is unbelievably good! This is undoubtedly my new favorite fall side dish :) I got the recipe from a Simple and Delicious cooking magazine. If you don't want to pay for Gouda cheese, mozzarella or Swiss works fine. I actually do not use the microwave, but boil the sweet potatoes in their skins on the stove until just tender, then slip them out of their skins, slice, and follow the rest of the recipe.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gouda cheese
- 3 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add spinach. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
Drain sweet potatoes. Spread half of the spinach mixture into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with half of the potatoes and cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings